Helpful information learning how to start and maintain a home garden
BEST REASONS TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD:
- Beautify your neighborhood
- Eat healthier, fresher food
- Supplement your household’s food budget
- Terrific way to relieve stress while spending quality time with others
YOU DON’T NEED MUCH TO START YOUR OWN GARDEN, HERE A FEW KEY ITEMS:
- Sunlight- A location with at least 6-8 hours of sun is best (stay out of the shade)
- Water-Any container can be filled with water, or if you have a hose that works too!
- Soil-good soil makes for livelier healthier plants that produce better vegetation
- A container, a plowed area in your yard, or make raised beds from wood and nails
- Seeds- collect seeds that reflect the food you want to grow. Some stores will even accept SNAP to purchase seeds!
Once you have assembled all of these items, find the best possible place for your plants to grow and thrive. Create a plan of when to plant your seeds based on this chart. (this can usually be found on the seed package as well).
Garden Seasons: Growing food doesn’t just happen in the summer!
- Spring – Cabbage, broccoli, greens such as spinach, kale, and lettuces, peas, beets, carrots
- Summer –tomatoes, peppers, corn, eggplant, onions, potatoes, beans, squash, melons
- Fall-Cabbage, broccoli, greens such as spinach, kale, lettuces