The Food We Eat Plays A Critical Role in Our Overall Health
At Mid-Ohio Foodbank, our vision is a hunger-free and healthier community. The food we eat plays an important role in our overall health, and at Mid-Ohio Foodbank we are taking steps each day to make sure everyone has access to healthful foods.
The nutrition programs at Mid-Ohio Foodbank reinforce the messages from USDA’s MyPlate, the current national nutrition icon to guide healthful food choices.
Take action by making changes in these three areas. Choose steps that work for you and start today.
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid over-sized portions.
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- 1) 10 Tips Nutrition Education Series – MyPlate
- 2) Pantry Panic Handouts
- 3) Patient Education Materials - Ohio State University
- 4) Team Nutrition MyPlate eBooks - USDA