“So, what is it that we’ll be doing when we come to volunteer at the Mid-Ohio Foodbank?”
This is a common and great question we get daily!
Our foodbank is a centralized location where grocers, food companies, Ohio farmers, the USDA, and community partners obtain food and distribute it to more than 500 food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, after-school programs, and senior housing sites across central and eastern Ohio.
All volunteers will go through a short training when you arrive. You will be inspecting, cleaning/sanitizing, or sorting damaged, out-dated donated items from grocery stores. Volunteers will be on their feet and moving around for the time that they're here (breaks are allowed). There is lifting involved - our boxes weigh between 10 and 20 pounds.
We DO NOT have any sit down jobs in the warehouse. Since we are dependent on donations, there are several different projects you may find yourself working on during your volunteer shift with us. Here are a few examples of the type of project you may encounter, but not limited to:
- Reclamation: Also called salvage, this is the inspecting and sorting of discarded grocery store items.
- CSFP (Commodities Supplemental Food Program): This is an assembly line project to build care packages for seniors.
- Meat Repack: We are able to recover tons of good protein by sorting and packing assorted frozen meats. The meats are packaged at the grocery store and we inspect them for quality and sort them by category. The meat repack project is housed in our clean room. The room is kept cool, but is not a freezer.
- Other Repack: From bread to produce, pasta to frozen veggies, we package all sorts of donations as they become available to us!
- Labeling: Yes, sometimes your job might be adding labels to cans of nutritious green beans, or even ingredients for pasta.
- Special Events: Operation Feed will need your help over the spring and summer months to help collect food donations at community events, event set up and tear down, or other duties as assigned.
You can call the Volunteer Department directly at 614-317-9703 or email the volunteer department if you have questions.