Local Organizations Help Build Fresher Future for Those in NeedThe 2013 Operation Feed campaign season launched with “Operation Feed Day” on March 1st. Award-winning campaign partners joined forces to volunteer and test their Foodbank knowledge in a friendly game of “Weakest Link” style hunger trivia. Momentum created on this day helped energize the entire campaign!
At the Campaign Finale on August 22nd, coordinators and leadership of participating organizations came together at Franklin Park Conservatory to celebrate and wrap-up another outstanding season. 28 awards were presented to outstanding campaigns, and a stunning 6,849,520 meals were raised – an increase of more than 118,000 meals over last year! With the Foodbank's new focus on providing fresh, healthy food to those struggling to make ends meet, this effort represents some 430 semi-truck loads of fresh produce for families right here in our community.
Check out the Finale program and photos from the Finale to learn more about the 2013 effort. The community's ongoing commitment to fighting hunger and supporting those in need is truly inspiring. Thanks to all who contributed to Operation Feed 2013… because no one should go hungry.
Awards were presented to the following Outstanding Campaigns:
- 121st Air Refueling Wing, Largest percentage increase (1000+ employees). 121st Air Refueling Wing raised 10,345 meals--a 116% increase over their previous year's efforts.
- Alliance Data, *Award of Excellence. 89 meals per capita; 74 % increase over 2012; 87,000 meal increase.
- American Electric Power/IBEW 1466, *Award of Excellence. 122 meals per capita; 52,311 meal increase.
- BakerHostetler, Law Firm Challenge: Most Meals Per Capita, Most Meals Raised. This seasoned campaign partner raised an incredible 387 meals per employee, totaling 46,893 meals.
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP, *Award of Excellence. 201 meals per capita; 57% increase over 2012.
- Berliner Action Team for Sports (BATS), Most meals per capita (1-249 employees). Berliner Action Team for Sports (BATS), a first time winner of this award, raised 1136 meals per capita.
- Columbus FLEA, *Award of Excellence. 7,700 meals per organizer; 160% increase over 2012.
- Columbus Hospitality, LLC, Community Partner Award, *Award of Excellence. Columbus Hospitality engaged their member properties in a friendly competition and raised over 32,000 meals--representing 161 meals per capita, a 422% increase over 2012 and a 26,000 meal increase.
- CompManagement Partner Companies, Director’s Choice Award. CompManagement’s campaign kicked off with a variety of events including jeans and tennis shoes week. A raffle generated the most donations with over 75 prize giveaways. A company match rounded out their donation, helping generate over 63,000 meals.
- Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C., Law Firm Challenge: Best Small Firm (2-10 Associates). Their firm of 7 raised 1,122 meals, 160 meals per associate.
- EXPRESS, Largest percentage increase (250-999 employees), *Award of Excellence. EXPRESS wins this award with a 137% increase and a donation of 54,684 meals--representing 91 meals per capita and a 31,500 meal increase.
- Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, *Award of Excellence. 116 meals per capita; 100% increase over 2012.
- Huntington Bank, Outstanding Online Fundraising Campaign. This year, Huntington Bank raised over 23,000 meals using the Virtual Food Drive and Friends & Family Fundraising tools, earning them the Outstanding Online Fundraising Award.
- Mid-Ohio Foodbank, *Award of Excellence. 476 meals per capita; 137% increase over 2012; 27,000 meal increase.
- Nationwide, Most meals per capita (1000+ employees), *Award of Excellence. Nationwide associates donated 247 meals per associate, generating nearly 2,800,000 meals--a 346,000 meal increase over 2012.
- Nationwide Children's Hospital, Director’s Choice Award. Utilizing friendly competitions, employee communications, payroll deductions and fun employee activities, they increased their campaign by 15% and raised over 409,000 meals.
- Online Computer Library Center (OCLC), Most meals per capita (250-999 employees). Longtime Operation Feed partner and winner of last year’s award for 250-999 employees most meal per capita award, Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) generated 221 meals per associate for a total of nearly 165,000 meals.
- QSCC, Largest percentage increase (1-249 employees), *Award of Excellence. In only its second year, QSCC employees raised 6,282 meals--90 meals per capita and a 205% increase over 2012.
- Quick Solutions, *Award of Excellence. 111 meals per capita; 129% increase over 2012.
- Roetzel & Andress, *Award of Excellence. 346 meals per capita; 163% increase over 2012.
- Towlift, Inc., Spirit Award, *Award of Excellence. This four-year Operation Feed participant kicked off its campaign with a breakfast from Bob Evans, and leadership team members served on the organizing committee for the campaign. A silent auction involved the whole company, and payroll deduction was a popular way to donate. Towlift’s campaign raised 20,204 meals--representing 311 meals per capita and a 45% increase over 2012.
- United Commercial Travelers (UCT), Spirit Award. With a theme of “Too HOT for Hunger,” UCT held fun activities including a Sizzlin’ Sub kick-off luncheon, a Hot fudge ice cream social and a Hot, hot, hot entertainment/bake sale. Executives led team competitions, and a water balloon fight helped cool off the competition. UCT raised 7,442 meals.
52 organizations were recognized for contributing at the **Benchmark level in 2013:
ARCOS, Inc. ♦ Ashland, Inc. ♦ Barnes & Thornburg LLP ♦ Bath & Body Works - Marketing
Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff LLP ♦ Berliner Action Team for Sports--B.A.T.S.
Bexley Women's Club ♦ Central Ohio Restaurant Association Foundation ♦ City of New Albany
Columbus Flea ♦ Columbus Hospitality, LLC. ♦ Columbus State Community College
Continental Building Systems ♦ COSI ♦ Cummins Bridgeway, LLC ♦ Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C.
Ernst & Young LLP ♦ EXPRESS ♦ Fahlgren Mortine ♦ Franklin University ♦ Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP
Headbands for Hunger ♦ Karpinski Engineering ♦ Macy's Federated Department Stores
Mid-Ohio Foodbank ♦ Motorists Insurance Group ♦ Mount Carmel Health System ♦ Nationwide
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. ♦ The Ohio Historical Society ♦ Peerless Saw Company
Professional Independent Agents Association of Ohio, Inc. ♦ QSCC ♦ Quick Solutions, Inc.
Roetzel & Andress ♦ Schneider Downs & Co., Inc. ♦ School Employees Retirement System of Ohio
SS&G ♦ Star Base Columbus ♦ State of Ohio ♦ Sunset Cemetery ♦ Towlift, Inc.
Ulmer & Berne LLP ♦ United Commercial Travelers ♦ United Way of Central Ohio
UPS - Payroll Columbus GBS ♦ The Wasserstrom Company ♦ Zenith Academy East
* Award of Excellence winners meet two of three criteria: 50 meals per capita, a 40 percent increase, a 25,000 meal increase.
** Benchmark level contributors have successfully reached goals suggested by program staff,
based on average Operation Feed campaign meals raised per capita.
Contact UsIf you have questions or would like more information about Operation Feed, please email email@example.com or contact a member of Operation Feed team:
- Joan Lloyd, Operation Feed Campaign Director
- Andrew Murphy, Operation Feed Campaign Manager
- Angie Leonard, Operation Feed Campaign Coordinator